Thursday 8 April 2010

The Sword of Maiden's Tears - Book Review


Another 'oldie' today:

The Sword of Maiden's Tears by Rosemary Edghill

What is it about:
Stumbling across a mugging victim in New York City who turns out to be a being from the world of Elphame, student librarian Ruth Marlowe and her friends learn that the muggers stole a magical sword that changes mortals into grendel-like monsters.

What did I think of it:
This is the book that started my love for Urban Fantasy!
It's the first book of a trilogy (although this one can be read on it's own too) and the best of the three I think.

Ruth is a likeable character and she's faced with some very though choices throughout the story that makes you really feel for her. Edghill's writing style is a treat in itself, add a really engaging story to that and you got me hooked.

The one negative thing I can say is that the viewpoint switches between Ruth and one other person and when reading the viewpoint from the other person I got impatient at times and wanted the story to switch back to Ruth.

Why should you read it:
It's got elves and monsters running around in New York!
I don't know if this book is still available as a new book, but if you run across it somewhere I can really advice you to give it a try.

And here's all three of the books in 'The Twelve Treasures' trilogy:
- The Sword of Maiden's Tears
- The Cup of Morning Shadows
- The Cloak of Night and Daggers

No comments: