Friday 28 May 2010

Ride the Wind - Book Review


Ride the Wind by Lucia St. Clair Robson

What is it about:
In 1836, when she was nine years old, Cynthia Ann Parker was kidnapped by Comanche Indians. This is the story of how she grew up with them, mastered their ways, married one of their leaders, and became, in every way, a Comanche woman. It is also the story of a proud and innocent people whose lives pulsed with the very heartbeat of the land. It is the story of a way of life that is gone forever....

What did I think of it:
This story is based on true events. Cynthia Ann Parker really was kidnapped by Comanche and she did marry one of their leaders, allthough this story is romanticized a lot ofcourse. That being said: this is one of the best researched novels about Native American Indians I've read without it turning into a history lesson. It's a really gripping story and both beautiful and sad as it celebrates the Comanche way of live, but also tells about the downfall of these proud people. (I must add that I do not agree with the innocent part that's in the above description. Comanche didn't rule large parts of the plains and weren't hated by the Texans by being innocent I can tell you.) All in all a great read, although I must warn you that you shouldn't read this book if you're looking for a feel good story.

Why should you read it:
It's a powerful and interesting story about the Comanche

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds great, I always loved to read about Native American Indians! Great review, will ahve to look up this novel. :-)

Demented Wench said...

Not one of my normal genres but the story sounds intriguing.

Sullivan McPig said...

It's really good I think. I hope you'll enjoy it if you decide to read it.