Wednesday 12 May 2010

Spellbent - Book Review

Spellbent by Lucy A. Snyder

What is it about:
When an innocent spell somehow opens a portal to Hell, young mage Jessie Shimmer manages to kill the demon about to stomp on downtown Columbus, Ohio, but she loses an eye, a hand, and her lover and mentor, Cooper. Benedict Jordan, ruling mage for the area, forbids any attempts to find Cooper, who may still be alive in Hell, and strips Jessie of her resources. With little more than her ferret familiar, her magic, and the help of Cooper's smart-ass half-brother, Jessie must rescue Cooper and uncover Benedict's motives.

What did I think of it:
I loved this book. Jessie is one kickass heroine and I got sucked into the story right from the start and couldn't put the book down before I finished it. I must say that if you really look closely at the story at times there's not much happening besides Jessie trying to figure out what to do next, but still it feels really fastpaced and action packed which I think is an amazing feat. The one thing I can say against this story is that Cooper disappears quite early in the story, before I could really get a feel of Jessie's relationship with him. I'd have loved to read a bit more about the two of them together and just about Cooper. But there's going to be a sequel to this book in Oktober (Shotgun Sorceress) so I might get my wish.

Why should you read it:
If you like Urban Fantasy which features a no nonsense heroine this is your book!

3 comments:

Carolyn Crane said...

Great review! Yes, I missed Cooper, too! I hope to see him in a later installment!

Anonymous said...

There will indeed be more Cooper in Shotgun Sorceress :)

Sullivan McPig said...

That is good news! Thanks.