Monday 9 January 2012

Dead Man Walking - Book Review

Dead Man Walking
by Marty Shaw

ebook, short story

What is it about:
It was supposed to be just another execution of a criminal, but then he didn’t die. Now the living are trapped in a prison with the walking dead… and the dead are hungry.

Griffin knew watching an inmate being put to death wouldn’t be fun, but he never expected Callahan to return as something less than human. Now Griffin, along with a handful of officers and inmates, are trapped within the walls of a prison as a legion of the walking dead stalk them for food.

The choice is simple – fight back or die.


What did I think of it:
This is a very cool zombie read.

Shaw sets up and executes a satisfying story full of zombie mayhem in just 37 pages. With that number of pages some things have to be left out, so there's not much room for background or character development. Still Shaw manages to put in enough of both to make me feel sympathy for Griffin and some of the other characters while disliking others.

Shaw's writing is pleasant and although a zombie outbreak in a constricted area has been done before, Shaw gives his own spin to it in an original way.

I hope Shaw decides to write more zombie stories and to make these longer than Dead Man Walking, because my one complaint about this story is that it was much too short.

Why should you read it:
Zombies in prison!


Buy it here

3 comments:

LM Preston said...

Love another zombie book. It's now a rising character in many genre. My son started me into my zombie reading phase.

Melliane said...

Oh it's a really short story. I'm always a little afraid with little books because we can't have everything we want. I'm happy it was a nice book, it sounds so! Thanks for the discovery I didn't know about this one.

Sharon Stogner said...

thanks for the heads up about this one!