Monday 16 January 2012

The Hob's Bargain - Book Review

The Hob's Bargain
by Patricia Briggs


What is it about:
Her gift of sight has shown her visions of mayhem and murder. So, to save her village from ruthless raiders, Aren of Fallbrook strikes a bargain with the magical Hob, who will exact a heavy price to defend the village, a price Aren herself must pay.

What did I think of it:
I absolutely love Briggs' Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega books, but those are all Urban Fantasy, so I decided to give one of her Fantasy novels a try.

The Hob's Bargain is very different from Briggs' UF books, but I totally fell in love with it.

Aren is a wonderful and strong heroine. She is shunned by most people in her village because of her magical gift and some even would want to see her dead. Still she doesn't feel hate and isn't looking for revenge. Instead she uses her powers to help save her village and she's even willing to go as far as to give her life.

The story starts out quite grim, but when Aren finds the Hob and he promises to help it turns less dark and Briggs even succeeds in bringing some sweetness and lightness to this tale about survival.

This lightness also shines from the way this story is written. Briggs' style makes that you might worry about Aren, but she never makes you lose hope.

In the end this is a beautiful fairytale that is both dark and sweet. The Hob's Bargain will be kept with my other favorite reads and I will most certainly read more of Briggs' Fantasy books.

Why should you read it:
It's well written and beautiful Fantasy


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

3 comments:

Mel said...

I haven't read this one but I did enjoy Patricia's other fantasy duology Ravens series - she has a light touch that is really engaging with fantasy. This one will go on my wishlist I think! :-)

Melliane said...

Oh I haven't read this series yet, but you're right the fantasy books of Patricia Birggs are awesome too. I read the Aralorn series and it's amazing! I think I need to give it a try to this one now.

Sullivan McPig said...

I just ordered the first Raven book. I'm looking forward to reading more of her Fantasy.