Friday 24 August 2012

Chosen Ones - Book Review

Chosen Ones (The Lost Souls #1)
by Tiffany Truitt


What is it about:
Life is bleak but uncomplicated for sixteen-year-old Tess, living in a not-too-distant future where the government, faced with humanity's extinction, created the Chosen Ones, artificial beings who are extraordinarily beautiful, unbelievably strong, and unabashedly deadly.

When Tess begins work at Templeton, a Chosen Ones training facility, she meets James, and the attraction is immediate in its intensity, overwhelming in its danger. But there is more to Templeton than Tess ever knew. Can she stand against her oppressors, even if it means giving up the only happiness in her life?


What did I think of it:
This was a nice read.

I really liked the Dystopian setting of this book. It was grim and for most parts believable enough. There were some minor things that bugged me, but not enough to make me lose interest.

I did have some problems with Tess. For someone who's introduced as a cynical and disillusioned teen, she's awfully naive and slow to catch on to what's going on at times. Near the end of the book something is revealed that would have me run screaming for the hills if I was Tess, but she doesn't even think anything of it. It makes me wonder if it's just Tess who doesn't see the danger or if it's Truitt who didn't think her own world building through.

I also thought that Truitt held back information on one plot point until very late in the story. Ok, there were some hints, but the most important one was introduced much too late in my opinion.

Those grumblings aside, this was an enjoyable read. I really liked the growing relationship between Tess and James and the story had enough intrigue to keep me invested until the end.

The ending was done well enough to give some closure and at the same time made me want to continue this series. I'm curious to see if Truitt will take this story where I both hope and fear it will go or if she will shy away from true darkness.

Why should you read it:
It's a nice Dystopian YA read


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

2 comments:

Aurian said...

Nice review Sullivan. I do wonder though, why do you like YA so much? And would you give me some advice on them, I am starting buying books for my stepdaughter who is almost 14. She reads a lot, just like I did as a kid. Could you email me at auriansbooks at gmail dot com

M.A.D. said...

This one's on my *to read radar* ... glad to see you enjoyed it, Sully :D