Friday 3 January 2014

Allegiant - Ranty Book Review


Allegiant (Divergent #3)
by Veronica Roth


What is it about:
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.


My ranty review:
I will start with telling you a secret:
My owner is a princess!

What? You don't believe me? You want proof?

Ok, here's my proof:
My owner owns a tiara! Why would she have a tiara if she's not a princess?
There's no reason to own a tiara if you're not a princess, right?
So there you have it:

My owner is a princess.

Convinced?
I sure hope not!

And there you have the one thing that annoyed me in Allegiant!
Not the ending, which seems to enrage so many people.

False arguments and people falling for it!

I wanted to kick Tris and Tobias for believing what others told them. And when they did ask for proof, they got bogus proof and didn't question that bogus proof. It was so frustrating. At one point of the story I really hoped Tobias would get killed or hurt for acting like a brainless idiot.

And let's not forget the reveal!
We finally get an explanation for the weird world building in this series...
Yeah...

I won't spoil, but I was not impressed.

And don't get me started on Tris' holier than thou attitude, or the fact that Tris and Tobias sounded so much alike I got confused at times which viewpoint I was reading.

So when I finally got to the ending that had so many people angry and upset, I felt underwhelmed.

So was it all bad?
Well, to be honest it was an entertaining read, although it was so much less than I hoped. I will say I loved the second book in this trilogy best, and I will probably reread the first two books in this trilogy when I'm in the mood for an action packed Dystopian read. I even already preordered the short story collection that will release in a couple of months, before picking up this book, and I will read that as well.

This book however...

I most probably won't reread.

Why should you read it:
It is an entertaining though flawed Dystopian YA read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

3 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I read the spoilers, they made me very very annoyed

Aurian said...

I am sorry you are underwhelmed by this book Sullivan, and you never know, perhaps your owner is a princess!

Sullivan McPig said...

@Aurian: oh, that would be cool. I will keep stating my case