Sunday 2 February 2014

Coveted - Book Review


Coveted (Coveted #1)
by Shawntelle Madison


What is it about:
For werewolf Natalya Stravinsky, the supernatural is nothing extraordinary. What does seem strange is that she’s stuck in her hometown of South Toms River, New Jersey, the outcast of her pack, selling antiques to finicky magical creatures. Restless and recovering from her split with gorgeous ex-boyfriend, Thorn, Nat finds comfort in an unusual place: her obsessively collected stash of holiday trinkets. But complications pile up faster than her ornaments when Thorn returns home—and the two discover that the spark between them remains intense.

Before Nat can sort out their relationship, she must face a more immediate and dangerous problem. Her pack is under attack from the savage Long Island werewolves—and Nat is their first target in a turf war. Toss in a handsome wizard vying for her affection, a therapy group for the anxious and enchanted, and the South Toms River pack leader ready to throw her to the wolves, and it’s enough to give anybody a panic attack. With the stakes as high as the full moon, Nat must summon all of her strength to save her pack and, ultimately, herself.


What did I think of it:
I will confess I had seen this book around, but didn't pay real attention to it because of the cover. But then I got it as a birthday present from Melliane and gave it a try.

And once again I was reminded that I shouldn't judge a book by its cover!

This is such a fun read.

In her cover quote Ann Aguirre compares Natalya to Carolyn Crane's Justine (Disillusionists trilogy) and I can tell you I can see why she said that. Natalya is a messed up heroine, but just as Justine she's very likeable and relatable. I was invested and rooting for her from the start. I also really loved Natalya's friend Aggie and some members of Natalya's family.

The story is both fun and suspenseful. I was laughing one moment and biting my nails the next. The pacing is fast and I raced through the book in an afternoon, I just couldn't put it down.

The one small point of critique is that the story is told from Natalya's point of view, but information that Natalya has, is kept from the reader to create suspense. But seeing how much fun this book is I won't hold that against it, because this book is certainly not alone in pulling that particular trick.

All in all I started this book with the expectation to like it, but instead I fell in love with it. I can tell you I will read the next book in this series as soon as possible, because I'm hooked!

Why should you read it:
It's a fun and very entertaining Paranormal read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

4 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Ohh fell in love with always preferred :)

Melliane said...

I'm so glad you loved it! It's a really fun series!

Aurian said...

In that case, I will have to read it Sullivan! Great review.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oooo. Now I think I need this book for the comparison to Justine in Carolyn's series. I loved that series and Justine. Neat. Thank you for sharing a new book with us! I've not really thought much of it either. lol