Friday 20 June 2014

Hush, Hush - Book Review


Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush #1)
by Becca Fitzpatrick


What is it about:
Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.


What did I think of it:
This is a nice read.

I will confess I really disliked Nora's best friend Vee. She disregards Nora's feelings and doubts about things, and acts like a brat to get her way. I especially disliked this behavior because it was used to set certain events in motion.

But even though Vee made my blood pressure spike, I really liked Nora and Patch. Nora was a very sensible heroine, who didn't trust easily. She did act impulsive and unthinking at times, but not annoyingly so.

The story is intriguing and suspenseful. Some things were easy to figure out, but others kept me guessing. The mythology used wasn't anything new, but Fitzpatrick used it in a way that made for an enjoyable story.

All in all this is a very entertaining read, and I think I will try to get hold of the next book in this series to see what's next for Nora.

Why should you read it:
It's an enjoyable Paranormal YA read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

4 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I read Hush, Hush years ago, using a borrowed copy . . . and now I wish I still had it because I'm curious about it again, although I really didn't like it the first time around.

You see, I also didn't like Twilight the first time around . . . as well as the second time . . . and the third time (LOL!) . . . but you know that I'm pretty positive about it these days. So I'm wondering if my thoughts on Hush, Hush will be different now, too. Especially since I originally saw it as a Twilight rip off.

But what do you think about that, Sully? Did you see a lot of strong similarities between the two books?

Sullivan McPig said...

I can't say I saw much similarities.

Patch is very different in how he interacts with Nora, than how Edward acts towards Bella. Patch is also more of a bad boy instead of Mister Creepy Perfect.

And if Nora didn't have Vee, she wouldn't have to be saved, so she's also a lot less accident prone then Bella is. ;-)

I did order the second book, so will be reading it somewhere in the near future. I will keep you informed when I find any similarities.

And all this reminds me that Breaking Dawn is still waiting for me.

Melliane said...

I liked this one but well my friend told me about the sequels so no need to read them now lol.

Melliane said...

I liked this one but well my friend told me about the sequels so no need to read them now lol.