Wednesday 10 September 2014

My Soul to Save - Book Rant


My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers #2)
by Rachel Vincent


What is it about:
When Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies.

So when teen pop star Eden croaks onstage and Kaylee doesn’t wail, she knows something is dead wrong. She can’t cry for someone who has no soul.

The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad’s ironclad curfew and putting her too-hot-to-be-real boyfriend’s loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls: a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld—a consequence they can’t possibly understand.

Kaylee can’t let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk...


What did I think of it:
What is it that makes that when a bad guy does something it's evil and wrong, and when the good guy does the exact same thing it's OK?

That's the question that stayed with me after finishing this book.

It's something that I've encountered before in my reading (Allegiant anyone?) and that annoys me.

It also took away from my reading enjoyment in this book. Overall this is a really cool story, and I was enjoying it, up until Kaylee decides on her 'Holier Than Thou' solution, in which she gets to do the things the bad guys do, without it being the horror it is when the bad guys do it.

I grumbled, I growled...

I finally decided to try to ignore it, and see it as the double standard that is used for good guys and bad guys. I decided to pretend Kaylee doesn't notice she's acting in the same manner as the bad guys.

Then I reached the ending, and Kaylee started angsting over a morally questionable action made by someone else. Really?! Now she did see how wrong it was, but not when she was doing it herself?! ARGH!

So... I think I will stay away from the next book in this series until I've calmed down a bit.

Why should you read it:
Mostly it's a fun and original Paranormal YA read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: