Wednesday 18 March 2015

Stone in the Sky - Book Review


Stone in the Sky (Tin Star #2)
by Cecil Castellucci


What is it about:
In this thrilling follow-up to Tin Star, Tula will need to rely on more than just her wits to save her only home in the sky.

After escaping death a second time, Tula Bane is now even thirstier for revenge. She spends much of her time in the Tin Star CafĂ© on the Yertina Feray—the space station she calls home. But when it's discovered that the desolate and abandoned planet near the station has high quantities of a precious resource, the once sleepy space station becomes a major player in intergalactic politics. In the spirit of the Gold Rush, aliens from all over the galaxy race to cash in—including Tula's worst enemy.


What did I think of it:
I don't often buy books that are more than 10 Euro, but I loved Tin Star so much, I had to make an exception for Stone in the Sky. I just couldn't wait for the paperback.

And it was worth it!

Stone is the Sky is a beautiful story.

Tula is faced with difficult choices in this book. Take revenge on Brother Blue, or let him go free to serve the greater good. Give her heart to Tournour, who is an alien, or to a human boy. Stay safe and hidden, or take action and risk her life for others?

I loved how Tula isn't a typical do-good hero. She learned to look out for herself first, so heroism isn't her natural response to things. I'm not saying she isn't heroic though. It's because she keeps overcoming her instincts, that tell her to run, that I find her all the more a hero.

The events in this book lead Tula away from the aliens who she trusts and are her friends. On her own she learns a lot more about herself and what she wants though, and I loved seeing her evolve from an angry, insecure teenager into a woman who knows who she is and what she wants from life.

Next to Tula's growth as a character there's lots of intrigue, double dealings, and political games going on. I was totally engrossed in the story and had a hard time putting the book down.

The romance in this book was understated, but very sweet, and I loved how it played out.

All in all Stone in the Sky is a beautiful conclusion of this duology, and I can advice it to anyone who is looking for a good Young Adult SciFi read.

Why should you read it:
It's a beautiful YA SciFi read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

1 comment:

Melliane said...

Oh I'm glad that it was worth it, now I'm quite curious too!