Monday 21 September 2015

Archangel's Enigma - Book Review


Archangel's Enigma (Guild Hunter #8)
by Nalini Singh


What is it about:
Naasir is the most feral of the powerful group of vampires and angels known as the Seven, his loyalty pledged to the Archangel Raphael. When rumors surface of a plot to murder the former Archangel of Persia, now lost in the Sleep of the Ancients, Naasir is dispatched to find him. For only he possesses the tracking skills required—those more common to predatory animals than to man.

Enlisted to accompany Naasir, Andromeda, a young angelic scholar with dangerous secrets, is fascinated by his nature—at once playful and brilliant, sensual and brutal. As they race to find the Sleeping archangel before it’s too late, Naasir will force her to question all she knows...and tempt her to walk into the magnificent, feral darkness of his world. But first they must survive an enemy vicious enough to shatter the greatest taboo of the angelic race and plunge the world into a screaming nightmare...


What did I think of it:
This is a great addition to a very enjoyable series.

I already liked Naasir. He is mentioned in earlier books, and the previous book in this series has been setting Naasir up for his own book very nicely.

Andromeda is a likeable character as well, and they made a good couple. I was a bit disappointed by the romance though. From the blurb, and some mentions at the start of the book, I had expected this romance to have more bite. Instead it's almost vanilla. Not that there's anything wrong with the romance, don't get me wrong. I just prepared for a darker romance than I got.

The story is really cool. I was gripped from the start and kept reading to find out what would happen next. Even the things happening away from the main couple were suspenseful enough that they didn't slow the narrative down as they did in some of the other books.

I will confess that the things that happened make me fear that Illium won't get his own book, but that his story will be played out in the background of another couple's romance, or in a novella. Let's hope I'm wrong.

All in all this is a very nice read, and I'm looking forward to the next book in this series.

Why should you read it:
It's a very enjoyable Urban Fantasy Romance series.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

1 comment:

miki said...

i totally missed to pre order this one -_- bad me but lately it's not surprising

i do hope illium will get his own book as well!