Monday 8 February 2016

Dragon Age: The World of Thedas Volume 1 - Book Review


Dragon Age: The World of Thedas Volume 1 (Dragon Age Universe)
by David Gaider, Ben Gelinas, Mike Laidlaw, Dave Marshall (Editor) and Various Illustrators


What is it about:
For Dragon Age newcomers, this comprehensive volume brings you up to speed on everything you need to know about the regions, religions, monsters, magic, and more! For dedicated fans, never before have the secrets of BioWare's epic fantasy been revealed so completely and so compellingly!

* Filled with never-before-seen art by the creators of the games!


What did I think of it:
You've probably noticed by now I'm addicted to Dragon Age, so it can't come as a surprise I got my trotters on this source book.

And this is a really awesome book.

It has chapters on all the different countries in Thedas, their religion, races, etc. A lot of the things were already familiar to me, but it was really fun to read about it and get it fleshed out a bit more.

There are tons of beautiful illustrations as well, in various styles. I loved looking at those.



There's a timeline with important events on the bottom of the pages. It was interesting to learn more about the long history of Thedas. The one thing I must note is that if The Calling by David Gaider is canon (which it is according to himself and hints in DA Inquisition) there's one really big error in the timeline. (There are some other small errors in the book as well, but none so glaringly as that one.)


Errors aside: this book is a must have for fans of the Dragon Age games in my opinion. I most certainly will browse it regularly for the art and the fun articles on all the different aspects of the world of Thedas.

You can bet I'll get hold of volume 2 as well.

Why should you read it:
If you're a rpg geek and love Dragon Age, you need this book!

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: