Friday 29 April 2016

True Blood - DNF Book Review


True Blood
by Patricia Waddell


What is it about:
She's a diplomat…
Danna MacFadyen of the League of Planets is assigned to investigate the explosion of a space freighter. She must use her psychometric skills to determine whether this was an accident or terrorism -- but for Danna, the hardest part of this assignment is working with Korcian Enforcer Cullon Gavriel.

He's a warrior…
Fighting isn't just in a Korcian's blood -- it's in his very soul. Cullon Gavriel already knows the freighter explosion was terrorism -- targeted at the Korcian prince traveling incognito aboard the ship. Cullon's single goal: to discover who is killing Korcian True Bloods. He never expects to become enchanted with a beautiful Terran female who has the ability to step into the past.

As the pieces of an explosive puzzle fall into place...
Danna and Cullon realize they have uncovered a conspiracy that stretches across the galaxy. The trail leads to the capitol city of the Korcian Empire, where shocking secrets lie hidden-- and where the lines between politics and love cross unexpectedly.


What did I think of it:
Another SF where all the aliens are basically humans (well, ok: there are dwarves as well), but I'm used to that by now, so I went along with that.

I had a hard time getting to like any of the characters. Danna is a bit bland and easily impressed by looks, while Cullon is an alpha asshole. The only character I even liked a bit was the dwarf, but he was friends with the alpha asshole, so I didn't really trust him because of that.

The story felt a bit static and didn't really draw me in. The interaction between Danna and Cullon felt stilted as well. When for the gazillionth time Cullon was being a jerk again, and Danna was still swooning over his feline/viking good looks, I threw the book across the room and decided it wasn't for me. I just couldn't stand either of them any longer.

I do have the second book in this series (True Deception) in my TBR pile. I understand it's about two different people, so if I ever feel in the mood for SF and have nothing else on hand, I might give it a try to see if its as infuriating as this book or not.

Why should you read it:
Maybe you like über alphas being jerks.


1 comment:

Jeffe Kennedy said...

"Maybe you like über alphas being jerks." lololol :-)