Wednesday 11 May 2016

Wicked After Midnight - Book Review


Wicked After Midnight (Blud #3)
by Delilah S. Dawson


What is it about:
Life as a contortionist in Criminy’s Clockwork Caravan should be the height of exotic adventure, but for Demi Ward, it’s total dullsville. Until her best friend, Cherie, is stolen by slavers outside of Paris, and Demi is determined to find her.

On the run from his own past, Vale Hildebrand, a dashing rogue of a highwayman, hides Demi from the slavers…but why? He pledges to help her explore the glittering cabarets of Paris to find her friend, but much to Vale’s frustration, Demi soon attracts a host of wealthy admirers. The pleasures of music, blood, and absinthe could turn anyone’s head, and it would be all too easy to accept Cherie’s disappearance as inevitable—but with Vale’s ferocious will and Demi’s drive to find her friend, they soon have a lead on a depraved society of Parisian notables with a taste for beautiful lost girls. Can Demi wind her way through the seedy underbelly of Paris and save her best friend before she, too, is lost?


What did I think of it:
Now that I got myself to read Casper's story in Wicked As She Wants and actually enjoying it (even though I still didn't like him) I could finally pick up Wicked After Midnight. (Yes, I know I often read out of order, but if I have the books I want to read in order.)

And this is a great read!

I liked both Demi and Vale, so I was soon rooting for both of them. They make a great pair, and I loved seeing them fall for each other. Demi is a very stubborn and difficult person at times. There were moments I wanted to scream some sense into her, but it never came to a point that she got annoying.

The worldbuilding and storytelling was awesome. I loved the mood and atmosphere of the Steampunkish cabaret Dawson created. I'd almost be tempted to visit a cabaret sometimes, although I'd surely be disappointed there wouldn't be any supernatural creatures ;-)

Next to our heroine and hero there were some really cool other characters as well. I loved how some o them got their own complete side story in this book.

Overall this is a wonderful read. My favorite book is still Wicked as They Come, but this one is a close second. Thanks to a mention in Wicked After Midnight that made me very curious, I'll be reading The Three Lives of Lydia next, as soon as my copy of Carniepunk arrives.

Why should you read it:
It's a really cool Steampunkish Romance.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: