Wednesday 28 June 2017

Dingo - Book Rant


Dingo (Newford #17)
by Charles de Lint


What is it about:
High school senior Miguel's life is turned upside down when he meets new girl Lainey, whose family has just moved from Australia. With her tumbled red-gold hair, her instant understanding of who he is, and her unusual dog a real Australian dingo, she's unforgettable. And, as he quickly learns, she is on the run from an ancient bargain made by her ancestors.

There's no question that Miguel will do whatever he can to help her, but what price will each of them have to pay?


What did I think of it:
This could have been a nice read about two mismatched teenage boys helping two shapeshifting teenage girls escape their destiny, but instead de Lint managed to spoil this whole book for me with just one careless remark.

Our white skinned red-gold haired twins refer to the Aboriginals as 'guests', because our redheaded fair skinned wonder twins the Dingo's were first in Australia...

Seriously!?

You're really going to degrade the Aboriginals - who suffered a lot of really nasty things, and who are still fighting for their rights - to guests who are being tolerated just to fit your own Mythology!? WTF!!!

If this was my first book by de Lint it would have been my last. Having read several others which I really loved, and having more of his books in my TBR pile, I'm going to assume this is a weird (and disrespectful) slip up. It will take me some time to get the bad taste of this book out of my mouth though, so it might be a while before I pick up my next de Lint book.

Why should you read it:
I'd pick one of his other books if I were you.


Buy from bookdepository

1 comment:

Beanie Mouse said...

OH heck, that's quite a slip up!!! Even for fantasy!