Thursday 10 August 2017

Wakeworld - Book Review (repost)


Wakeworld (The Between #2)
by Kerry Schafer


What is it about:
Vivian Maylor is trying to hold it together. But her attempts to build a life with the man she loves seem doomed by the dragon inside her yearning to break free. Vivian is a dreamshifter, the last line of defense between reality and the dreamworld, and the only one of her kind.

Weston Jennings also believes he is the only one of his kind. He fears his powers as a dreamshifter, and resists learning to control them. After suffering a tragic loss, Weston heads deep into the woods of the Pacific Northwest to embrace a safe life of solitude. But when a terrible mistake leads to an innocent’s death, his guilt drives him to his former home, where he encounters what he never thought he would find: another shifter.

Now Vivian and Weston must work together to defeat a new threat to the dreamworld.


What did I think of it:
I loved Between, the first book in this series, and preordered Wakeworld as soon as it was possible. Still it took me a while to find the time to pick it up.

I'm very glad I finally found that time though, because this is yet another winner.

Schafer doesn't make it easy for her characters. They have to struggle and fight to get where they're trying to go. I felt for Vivian, and even more for Zee (Vivian's love interest). They get challenges thrown their way that could easily break them. Still they keep trying.

I really liked to see that Vivian has grown since the first book. There she let herself be dragged along mostly, powerless to stop what was happening to her. In this book she was starting to take control of things, not always with success, but at least she was doing everything she could to change her fate.

The story is full of twists and turns, and you have to keep paying attention to what's happening. I was on the edge of my seat and had to keep reading to see if Vivian and Zee would manage to get out alive and (mostly) well.

The ending was satisfying, but left many things open that make me anxious and eager for the next book. I will most certainly get my trotters on the next book when it releases, because I want more!

Why should you read it:
It's a wonderful (Urban) Fantasy read with dragons.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: