Wednesday 18 April 2018

Reign of the Fallen - Book Review


Reign of the Fallen (Reign of the Fallen #1)
by Sarah Glenn Marsh


What is it about:
Odessa is one of Karthia's master necromancers, catering to the kingdom's ruling Dead. Whenever a noble dies, it's Odessa's job to raise them by retrieving their souls from a dreamy and dangerous shadow world called the Deadlands. But there is a cost to being raised--the Dead must remain shrouded, or risk transforming into zombie-like monsters known as Shades. If even a hint of flesh is exposed, the grotesque transformation will begin.

A dramatic uptick in Shade attacks raises suspicions and fears among Odessa's necromancer community. Soon a crushing loss of one of their own reveals a disturbing conspiracy: someone is intentionally creating Shades by tearing shrouds from the Dead--and training them to attack. Odessa is faced with a terrifying question: What if her necromancer's magic is the weapon that brings Karthia to its knees?


What did I think of it:
This is a very cool read.

I loved the idea of a world where the dead are resurrected and keep on interfering with the living, and keep ruling the country. I could easily picture this world where the dead cling to their unchanging ways, stifling the living.

Odessa is a great heroine. She is able to see the problems the dead cause, but is also painfully aware she would be nothing if she didn't have her necromancy skills. Her struggles, her grief when she loses someone she cares about, her doubts, they felt all too real and kept me reading. I loved both the emotions and the worldbuilding in this book.

Even though I sniffed out the one behind the conspiracy right away I very much enjoyed the story. There were some suspenseful scenes, and it was fun trying to see if there were clues that would confirm my suspicions.

What didn't work for me was the romance. I know this not the fault of how it was written, but because I just couldn't picture it.
Spoiler:
Odessa's love interests are siblings.
I myself have been hopelessly in love with one half of identical twins, and never did I even feel attracted to the other half. So that the romance didn't work for me, is all on me. I will admit that one particular scene in hindsight felt really creepy/icky to me btw.

The book has a satisfying ending that makes it work as a standalone, but there will be a sequel, so you bet I'll get hold of it.

Why should you read it:
Two words: Necromancer heroine!


buy from bookdepository

No comments: